Subject: Re: Light intensity falloff with LARGE objects...
From: Bryant Reif <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 17:06:35 -0500

At 04:58 AM 12/23/95 -0500, David Warner wrote:
>
>
>On Sat, 23 Dec 1995, David Warner wrote:
>
>> Try using a 100% light with a .01% falloff...this will give you a sphere 
>> of intensity 10,000 meters in size...if that's not big enough, try a 
>> falloff of .005% (50,000 meters) or whatever seems appropriate.  
>
>Damn...I shoulda checked my info before posting that advice...intensity
>falloff is only good for one decimal point, so the smallest falloff you 
>can enter is .1%...this is on the Amiga version of LW3.5 so maybe it was 
>changed in 4.0?
>
>Seems like an odd limitation...I would think that smaller falloff values 
>could be very useful in a situation like Adam is experiencing??

        I ran into the same problem with a particularly large model I made.
The intensity falloff was not quite what I wanted due to the limitation you
noted.  My intent was to make the model "life size", but in hindsight I
should have scaled it down to a more manageable size.  I too would like to
know if this limitation was fixed in LW 4.0.

*************************************************************
**  Bryant Reif, Telecommunication, Michigan State Univ.   **
**  -----------------------------------------------------  **
**  Phone: (517) 332-1236  E-mail: [email-masked]  **
**  Work: (517) 432-2191   E-mail2: [email-masked]        **
**  Fax: (517) 432-2529                                    **
**  WWW: http://aiesec.msu.edu/~bryant                     **
*************************************************************

        "If you keep your money in your shoe, then people
         will know which bills are yours."  D. Byrne